Prevention is the key to good oral health.
Our goal is to work with you to establish and maintain good oral health through regular preventive care, so we can catch any problems early on and resolve them.
To provide the best for our patients, we utilize digital radiographic imaging so that we can instantly obtain detailed images of your teeth with 90% less radiation than previous film radiographs. We utilize both intra and extra oral radiographic imaging based on what is needed in your specific situation.
At your first visit and routine cleanings, your dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-ray images: Essential for early detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the lips, tongue, palate, cheeks, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Evaluate the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination for tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Evaluate current condition of fillings, crowns, etc.
Professional Dental Cleaning
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease! Plaque is a major cause of bad breath.
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.